The policy set forth below is provided in English only to avoid any misinterpretations caused by a language translation. If necessary, please seek the proper advice, or please do not use this web site.
Sotheby’s International Realty® Online Privacy Statement
Sotheby’s International Realty Affiliates LLC and our affiliate and subsidiary companies (collectively, “we,” “our,” or “us“) are committed to privacy and to transparency in our information practices. In this Privacy Notice (the “Notice”), we describe how we may collect, use, disclose, and otherwise process personal information related to our websites (each, a “Website”) and mobile applications (each, an “App”) that display or link to this Notice and our other services, products, and technology solutions (collectively, the “Services“).
Last Updated on December 18, 2020
Profiles and inferences: inferences drawn from any of the above used to create a profile reflecting an individual’s preferences, behaviors or other characteristics.
Overview of Our Collection and Use of Personal Information
We think transparency is important. In this overview, we summarize the personal information we collect and how we use it, which is further explained in our Privacy Notice below. Keep in mind that the actual information we collect, and our use of such personal information varies depending upon the nature of our relationship and interactions with an individual. Also, in some cases (such as where required by law), we ask for your consent or give you certain choices prior to collecting or using certain personal information.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect. Generally, we collect the following types of personal information:
- Identifiers: such as name, contact information, IP address and online identifiers, Social Security number and other government identifiers.
- Customer Records: paper and electronic records containing personal information, which you provide to us in order to access or use our Services, such as name, digital signature, address, telephone number, email and other contact information.
- Characteristics of Protected Classifications: such as disability and health information (e.g., which we may collect in order to, for example, make accommodations available to you at events we host) and other profile information you provide to us.
- Commercial Information: including records of real property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or use histories or tendencies.
- Usage Data: internet or other electronic network activity Information including without limitation browsing history, search history, and information regarding an individual’s interaction with our Services or an advertisement.
- Geolocation Data: precise location information about a particular individual or device.
- Audio, Video, and Other Electronic Data: audio, electronic, visual, or similar information, such as CCTV images and thermal screenings (e.g., collected from visitors to our offices), photographs and call recordings.
- Employment History: professional or employment-related information.
- Education Information: education information and records.
- Inferences: inferences drawn from any of the above used to create a profile reflecting an individual’s preferences, behaviors or other characteristics.
Use of personal information. In general, we may use and disclose the personal information we collect for the following business and commercial purposes:
- Providing support and services
- Analyzing and improving our business
- Personalizing content and experiences
- Advertising, marketing, and promotional purposes
- Securing and protecting our business
- Defending our legal rights
- Auditing, reporting, corporate governance, and internal operations
- Complying with legal obligations
Individual rights. Please see Section 12, “Your Rights and Choices”, below for a description of the choices we provide and the rights you have regarding your personal information. If you are a California resident, please be sure to review Section 17 below titled “Additional Information for Certain Jurisdictions” for important information about the categories of personal information we collect and disclose as well as your rights under California privacy laws, including your right to submit a “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” request (i.e., to opt out of the sale of your personal information by us).
1. SCOPE OF OUR PRIVACY NOTICE
This Notice applies to our collection, use, disclosure, and other processing of personal information related to:
- the use of our Services that display or link to this Notice;
- former, current, and prospective clients, brokers, independent agents, and customers; and
- other individuals who use our Services, whose personal information we receive related to the Services, or who otherwise interact or communicate with us related to our Services
Our collection, use, disclosure, and processing of personal information about individuals will vary depending upon the circumstances. This privacy notice is intended to describe our overall privacy and data protection practices. In some cases, different or additional notices about our data collection and processing practices may be provided and apply to our processing of certain personal information.
Personal information. In this privacy notice, our use of the term “personal information” includes other similar terms under applicable privacy laws—such as “personal data” and “personally identifiable information.” In general, personal information includes any information that identifies, relates to, describes, or is reasonably capable of being associated, linked, or linkable with a particular individual.
Not covered by this notice. This privacy notice does not apply to job applicants and candidates who apply for employment with us, or to our employees and non-employee workers.
2. OUR COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Generally, we collect your personal information on a voluntary basis. However, if you decline to provide certain personal information that is marked mandatory, you may not be able to access certain Services or we may be unable to fully respond to your inquiry.
We may collect personal information directly from individuals, automatically related to the use of the Services, and in some cases, from third parties (such as social networks, platform providers, payment processors, data providers, and operators of certain third- party services that we use).
Information we collect directly. We collect information that you provide to us, such as
- when you create an account, provide contact information, and send other personal information to us;
- when you complete or submit a form through our Services, for example, “Contact Us” or “More Information” forms;
- when you participate in surveys or contests, submit orders or requests, or register for or use our Services, or otherwise contact us;
- information you submit or provide such as real estate searches and preferences, whether you plan on buying or selling real estate, home search criteria, information about financing for the purchase of real estate, and other information related to the purchase or sale of real estate.
Information we collect from third parties. We may collect personal information about you and your property from third party sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms (including from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected), from brokers and independent agents of Realogy Holdings Corp. brands, and from other third parties. For example, without limitation:
- Social media. If you choose to link, create, or log in to your Services account with a social media service (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.), or if you engage with a separate app or website that communicates with the Services, we may receive personal information about you or your connections from that service. In many cases you can control what personal information you share with us through privacy settings available on those third-party social media services.
- Real estate professionals. Information that may include, among other things, your name and email address, that you may have given to an independent real estate professional with whom you have a pre-existing relationship. The professional may collect suchpersonal information from you with the sole purpose of pre-populating an account for the Services on your behalf and with your consent. You may choose not to finalize the creation of an account and may opt-out of certain future communications from us by following the instructions in the account creation notification or by contacting us at the email address in this Notice.
- Property records. We may collect information about individuals and real estate property through public databases, such as property ownership and tax records maintained by state, local and county agencies.
3. Legal Bases For Our Processing of Personal Information
Certain laws, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), requires that we inform applicable individuals of the legal bases for our use and other processing of personal information.
Pursuant to the GDPR (and other relevant laws), we process personal information for the following legal bases:
- Performance of contract: as necessary to enter into or carry out the performance of our contract with you.
- Compliance with laws: for compliance with legal obligations and/or defense against legal claims, including those in the area of labor and employment law, social security, and data protection, tax, and corporate compliance laws.
- Our legitimate interests: in furtherance of our legitimate business interests including:
- Performance of contracts with franchisees and other parties
- Implementation and operation of global support (e.g., IT) services for our business operations
- Customer relationship management and improving our Services, including marketing and analytics
- Fraud prevention, including misuse of company IT systems or money laundering
- Physical, IT, and network perimeter security
- Internal investigations
- Mergers, acquisitions, and reorganization, and other business transactions
- With your consent: where we have your consent (the GDPR (where it applies)) and other applicable laws give you the right to withdraw your consent, which you can do this at any time by contacting us using the details at the end of this privacy notice. In some jurisdictions, your use of the Services may be taken as implied consent to the collection and processing of personal information as outlined in this privacy notice
In addition, we may process your personal information where necessary to protect the vital interests of any individual.
4. Use of Personal Information
While the purposes for which we may process personal information will vary depending upon the circumstances, in general we use personal information for the purposes set forth below. Where GDPR or other relevant laws apply, we have set forth the legal bases for such processing in parenthesis (see above for further explanation of our legal bases).
- Providing support and services: including, for example, to send or facilitate communications among you, independent real estate professionals and their affiliated entities, and other users of the Services, provide products and services you request (and send related information), operate our Services; to communicate with you about your access to and use of our Services; to respond to your inquiries; to provide troubleshooting, fulfill your requests and provide technical support; and for other customer service and support purposes. (Legal basis: performance of our contract with you; and our legitimate interests)
- Analyzing and improving our business: including to better understand howusersaccess and use our Services, to evaluate and improve our Services and business operations, and to develop new features, offerings, and services; to conduct surveys, and other evaluations, such as customer satisfaction surveys; and for other research and analytical purposes. (Legal basis: our legitimate interests)
- Personalizing content and experiences: including to provide or recommend features, content, social connections, and referrals; tailor content we send or display on our Services; to offer location customization and personalized help and instructions; and to otherwise personalize your experiences. (Legal basis: our legitimate interests and/or with your consent)
- Advertising, marketing and promotional purposes: including to reach you with more relevant ads and to evaluate, measure, and improve the effectiveness of our ad campaigns; to send you newsletters, offers, or other information we think may interest you; to contact you about our Services or information we think may interest you; and to administer promotions and contests. (Legal basis: our legitimate interests and/or with your consent)
- Securing and protecting our business: including to protect and secure our business operations, assets, Services, network and information and technology resources; to investigate, prevent, detect and take action regarding fraud, unauthorized access, situations involving potential threats to the rights or safety of any person or third party, or other unauthorized activities or misconduct. (Legal basis: our legitimate interests and/or compliance with laws)
- Defending our legal rights: including to manage and respond to actual and potential legal disputes and claims, and to otherwise establish, defend or protect our rights or interests, including in the context of anticipated or actual litigation with third parties. (Legal basis: our legitimate interests and/or compliance with laws)
- Auditing, reporting, corporate governance, and internal operations: including relating to financial, tax and accounting audits; audits and assessments of our operations, privacy, security and financial controls, risk, and compliance with legal obligations; our general business, accounting, record keeping and legal functions; and related to any actual or contemplated merger, acquisition, asset sale or transfer, financing, bankruptcy or restructuring of all or part of our business. (Legal basis: our legitimate interests and/or compliance with laws)
- Complying with legal obligations: including to comply with the law, our legal obligations and legal process, such warrants, subpoenas, court orders, and regulatory or law enforcement requests. (Legal basis: our legitimate interests and/or compliance with laws)
Aggregate and de-identified information. We may de-identify personal information and create anonymous and aggregated data sets and reports in order to assess, improve and develop our business, products and services, prepare benchmarking reports on our industry and for other research, marketing and analytics purposes.
5. disclosure of personal information
We may disclose the personal information that we collect about you as set forth below or as otherwise described at the time of collection or sharing.
- Service providers: We may disclose personal information with third-party service providers who use this information to perform services for us, such as hosting providers, auditors, advisors, consultants, and customer service and support providers.
- Subsidiaries and Affiliates: We may share your personal information with our affiliated companies (i.e., companies under common ownership, control or management with us) – use will be subject to this privacy notice.
- Third Parties. We may disclose personal information to third parties in order to provide our Services, facilitate your requests, or with your acknowledgement and consent, including with:
- independent real estate professionals and owners and operators of real estate brokerage companies to enable them to provide services you request through the Services.
- third parties to provide you a service you requested through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party or us.
- the public if you submit to a public part of the Services, such as comments, social media posts, or other features viewable by the public or generally by registered users of the Services.
- third parties with whom you choose to let us share information, for example other apps or websites that integrate with the Services, or those with Services with which we integrate.
- third parties we work with to provide you with more personalized content and ads, and to track the effectiveness of campaigns.
- Business transfers: We may disclose or transfer personal information as part of any actual or contemplated merger, sale, and transfer of our assets, acquisition, financing or restructuring of all or part of our business, bankruptcy or similar event, including related to due diligence conducted prior to such event where permitted by law.
- Legally required: We may disclose personal information if we are required to do so by law (e.g., to law enforcement, courts or others, e.g., in response to a subpoena or court order).
- Protect our rights: We may disclose personal information where we believe it necessary to respond to claims asserted against us or, comply with legal process (e.g., subpoenas or warrants), enforce or administer our agreements and terms, for fraud prevention, risk assessment, investigation, and to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our clients and customers or others.
Anonymized and Aggregated Data. We may share aggregate or de-identified information with third parties for research, marketing, advertising, analytics, and other purposes.
6. Cookies, Tracking, and Analytics
Our Services may use first party and third-party cookies, pixel tags, plugins, and other tools to gather device, usage and browsing information when users visit our Services. For instance, when you visit our Services, our server may record your IP address (and associated location information) and other information such as the type of your internet browser, your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, and the pages you view and links you select on the Services, as well as date and time stamps associates with your activities on our Services.
We use the information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to personalize and improve your experience while using the Services, to improve and measure our advertising campaigns and to better reach users with relevant advertising both on our Services and on third party websites. We also gather statistical information about use of the Services in order to continually improve their design and functionality, understand how they are used and assist us with resolving questions regarding them.
- Essential cookies are essential, as they enable you to move around the Service and use its features. Without these cookies we could not, for example, authenticate your login or remember that you are logged-in as you move through the Service.
- Functionality cookies ·allow us to remember choices you make (such as the region you’re in) and tailor the Service to provide enhanced features and content for you. For instance, they can be used to remember your login details or remember your nickname when you next login. They may also be used to provide services you’ve requested, for example leaving a comment on the Service.
- Analytics & performances cookies collect information about how the Service is used, for example which pages users visit most often and if any error messages are displayed on certain pages. Information collected using these cookies is used to monitor activity on the Service and understand how it is being used.
If you have disabled one or more cookies, we may still use information collected from cookies before your disabled preference was set. However, we will stop using the disabled cookie to collect any further information.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.aboutcookies.org.
Pixel tags and other similar technologies.Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Websites to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Websites (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Websites and response rates. We and our service providers may also use pixel tags in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, track whether our emails are forwarded, and conduct analytics.
Log files.Most browsers collect certain information, such as your IP address, device type, screen resolution, operating system version and internet browser type and version. This information is gathered automatically and stored in log files.
Do-Not-Track signals.Please note that ourWebsitesdo not recognize or respond to any signal which your browser might transmit through the so-called ‘Do Not Track’ feature your browser might have. If you wish to disable cookies on ourWebsites, you should not rely on any ‘Do Not Track’ feature your browser might have.
7. Interest-based Advertising
You can manage how your preferences regarding third party ad company cookies set by this Service by reading the cookie discussion above.
Please also see the cookie discussion above for information about the third parties we may work with to display targeted ads on third-party sites and to measure the success of our marketing and campaigns. You may also obtain more information about targeted or “interest-based advertising” and opt-out of many ad networks at the industry websites below:
8. Social Features and Third Party Plug Ins
The Services may integrate with social sharing features and other related tools which let you log in to the Services or share actions you take on the Services. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the social sharing service. Please refer to the privacy policies of those social sharing services for more information about how they handle the data you provide to or share through them. We do not receive or store passwords to your third-party social media accounts in this context.
9. International Transfers of Personal Information
The Services are hosted on servers located in the United States. Note that some countries may not provide the same level of data protection as your home country. If you are located, for example, in European Economic Area or Switzerland (collectively, “EEA”), your personal information will be transferred to the United States and possibly to other jurisdictions (e.g., to the location of a property for which you have requested information), which may not provide the same level of protection under your local data protection laws. In such cases, we rely on suitable personal information transfer safeguards. You may have the right to request a copy or information about those safeguards by contacting us as detailed below.
We use technical, administrative, and physical controls in place to help protect personal information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure. Even so, despite our reasonable efforts, no security measure is ever perfect or impenetrable. In the event that the security of your account has been compromised, please immediately notify us in accordance with Section 16 below (“Contact Us”).
11. Data Retention
We will retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this privacy notice unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law. We may retain personal information for longer where required by our legal and regulatory obligations, professional indemnity obligations, or where we believe it is necessary to establish, defend or protect our legal rights and interests or those of others. With respect to the data and files we handle as a processor, we retain this personal information in accordance with our clients’ instructions.
12. Your Rights and Choices
Marketing. You may opt out from receiving marketing-related communications from us on a going-forward basis by contacting us or by using the unsubscribe mechanism contained in each email. We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt out.
Cookies and similar technologies. Please review your browser or device settings for certain cookies and see above to exercise certain choices regarding cookies.
Access, amendment and deletion. Under applicable privacy laws, you may have the right to request to review, make amendments, have deleted or otherwise exercise your rights over your personal information that we hold, subject to certain legal limitations and requirements. If you are subject to such a privacy law, you may submit a request to us related to your personal information:
- By submitting a request to us at dataprivacy(at)realogy(dotted)com
- By contacting us at 888.778.6995 (toll free)
We follow applicable law to take steps to keep your personal information accurate, complete and up-to-date. In your request that is covered by an applicable privacy law, please make clear what personal information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your personal information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your personal information. We may only implement requests (a) where required by applicable law and (b) with respect to the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please see the Section 17 (“Additional Information for Certain Jurisdictions”) for information about individual rights under the CCPA and the GDPR.
Deactivation. You can deactivate your account at any time by contacting us at the email address at the bottom of this page. However, you will not be able to access many of the services to deactivate your account. Please note that even if you request deactivation of your account, it may take some time to fulfill this request.
Responding to Requests. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed. We may not always be able to fully address your request, for example if it would impact the duty of confidentiality we owe to others, or if we are legally entitled to deal with the request in a different way.
Additional information for certain jurisdictions. We are committed to respecting the privacy rights of individuals under all privacy laws applicable to us. Some privacy laws require that we provide specific information about individual rights to applicable consumers, which we have set forth at the end of this privacy notice:
- California: if you are a California resident, you have certain rights, under California privacy laws, regarding your personal information as set forth in Section 17 below.
- EU/EEA: if you are in the European Union / European Economic Area, we provide further details about your rights under the GDPR in Section 17 below.